Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Reclaiming Our Beauty, ALL OF IT

“My clients don’t like to masturbate. They think that their vaginas are gross and ugly.” This statement came out during a presentation that I went to recently. The therapist was relaying some frustrations about women connecting to their bodies and taking ownership of their sexuality. Masturbation is a key to that empowerment. (No really. It is huge.) And so is reveling in our bodies, all of our bodies.

Statements like, “Vaginas are gross and ugly,” hurt my heart. They remind me of all of the social messages that we receive. “Don’t touch that. It’s dirty.” “Make sure you wash your vulva, so you don’t smell like a fish.” “You need to douche in order to be truly clean.” “Don’t be too hairy down there.” “You must wax your vagina completely and then add crystals to it, in order to be presentable.” “You shouldn’t let your partner perform oral sex. It’s gross for him or her or hir.” 

It is so difficult to get past messages like these, and yet they hold us back from celebrating our beauty, all of it. I have done a lot of work to let these statements go. They still get in my head sometimes, and I am quick to move them out. My vulva deserves better. I deserve better. My connection to myself is worth much more than a douche commercial. 

Here are some techniques that I used to connect to my vulva: I educated myself about my anatomy. I read empowering books, Cunt: A Declaration of Independence by Inga Muscio, is a good one. I started masturbating. I took up yoga. All of these things have helped me to connect to my vulva and to see its beauty. And it is a beautiful, strong, powerful part of our bodies. It deserves to be celebrated as much as the rest of us, if not more.

How do you see the beauty in yourself, all of it?

-   Lauren, Negative Social Message Burner

No comments:

Post a Comment