Thursday, August 2, 2012

SASH, what the heck are you doing?


Normally I keep my blog entries upbeat or insightful, but I need y’all to know that I was let down the other day. A friend sent me a message about a conference that is coming to town that focuses on sexual health. This is a rare thing, so I pretty much signed up on the spot. Then I got really excited when I saw that it was being put on by the Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health. Who wouldn’t get excited by a group like that? Come on! THE SOCIETY FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF SEXUAL HEALTH? That sounds freaking awesome. And then I went to their website… 

They focus on hypersexual disorders and sexual dysfunctions. Here’s the thing. I know that mental health professionals need skills in supporting those who may have sexual health issues. That is totally fine. We all need tools in our tool box. People do struggle with sexual disorders. They need professionals who can help them. Fine.  

My problem comes in the name and branding of the group. Your name is the Society for the ADVANCEMENT of Sexual Health, and you only focus on sexual disorders?! What are you advancing? It looks to me like they are advancing the notion that we only need to focus on sexual health if someone has a disorder. We only need to advance supports for people with dysfunctions, whatever that means. That is not inclusive. That does not make sexual health a part of wellness. That does not, “Create a culture of healthy sexuality.” That is not legitimizing the field. THIS IS NOT HELPFUL!

I am going to need you to call yourself something else. How about the, “Society for Treating Sexual Disorders,” or the, “Professional Group of Clinical Practitioners who focus on Sexual Dysfunctions?” Something that is specific enough to not get people excited and then have their hopes dashed, because you only focus on diagnoses! Ick. 

Now, instead of going to the conference, I am advancing my sexual health by signing up for dance classes. Dancing helps me express myself, feel connected to my body, and release stress. Way more helpful than hearing about diagnoses.

-  Lauren, Future Director of the Society for Celebrating Sexuality, because that’s what I ACTUALLY do.

No comments:

Post a Comment