Thursday, September 6, 2012

The tool = the work?


“He who has the tool should do the work.” This is what a friend was told by her partner after sex. (I will amend it to say whoever has the tool should do the work. We will not leave out strap-on dildo wielding women. Not on this blog.) My friend said that she thought this was a brilliant statement. A revelation if you will. After I stopped laughing at his comment, because who wouldn’t laugh at that, I had to really think about it. Whoever has the tool should do the work… I am not so sure about that. 

This is the point in the blog post where I must admit that I have kind of a split personality when it comes to sex. Most of the time I want to give up the power and the control, because I am so dominant in the rest of my life. I run statewide programs. I am the head of my own household. I make things happen for myself. Sex is the time when I can let go. Someone else can take the power. I can guide my partner, but I am not in the driver’s seat.  This is the part of me that appreciates her partner’s sentiment.  

The other part of me wants to wave my finger in his face and say, “Oh hell no. You don’t get to have all of the fun.” This is the part of me who likes to take over. Sometimes I want the power and the control. I want to decide the speed, the angle, the level of intensity. I get to control how the sex goes. 

I am struggling with this one y’all. Obviously the issue is not black and white. And we all have our moments where we want different things from our sex lives. It’s an interesting statement. I just wonder if beliefs like that would lead to someone opting out and just taking it. Or lead to someone just pumping away without taking their partner into consideration, a lie back and think of England sentiment. It’s kind of hard to celebrate your sexuality if you don’t get to be involved in the sex. What do you think?  

-          Lauren, Obviously perplexed by this one and not totally sure why

No comments:

Post a Comment