Thursday, April 10, 2014

What do I do when I am not angry? Seek other inspiration.



I started this blog two years ago, because I was mad. I was (am) tired of women feeling disconnected from their sexual selves and having limited rights over their own bodies. I had a lot to say about female sexual empowerment, and I had no outlet for my anger. As a youth coordinator, it was risky to speak up about reproductive health issues publicly. So I started writing a blog under a different name. It felt really good! I love my blog. I love the conversations it starts. I love the little quasi-risk that I take every time I put myself out there. I love hearing someone say, “You know what? I totally changed ______ after reading a post of yours.” It makes me super fucking happy! At the same time, sometimes it is hard for me to write posts when I am not angry. It’s usually what fuels my creativity and my drive.

This week, we are trying something different. I am sharing five things that inspire me and get me moving when I am feeling less than motivated. They help remind me that conversations do not need to be fueled by anger. Sometimes, they can be fueled by light and curiosity and fun!


  1. Kid President- I love his character. I love this project. It warms my heart and gets me connected to the possibility of a better world in a happy way!
  2.   Dwell Magazine – I hate finishing this magazine and waiting for the next one. The photos are beautiful, and the projects get my creative juices flowing. I love the glimpses into well-designed and well-curated homes. I like the products that are featured. I even like the paper that the magazine is printed on. I fucking love it.
  3. Joshua Walters – Mr. Walters is a comedian who did a TED talk on being just crazy enough, which blows my mind every time that I watch it. His premise is that we should see the genius in people who think, act and process differently from the, “Norm”. Brilliant.
  4. Agustina Woodgate – This woman is an amazing artist from Argentina. I was going to write a whole bullet point about finding new artists, but that felt too broad. Ms. Woodgate is the perfect example of why discovering art is so amazing: it twists your brain. How else would I even think about turning stuffed animal skins into rugs?
  5. The MIA Pandora Station – Not all of my inspiration needs to be visual. When you can collect a whole bunch of my favorite hipster, rump shaking music into one playlist, I am ready to start a revolution. And a dance party. Possibly at the same time.

      What inspires you when the anger just isn’t there? 

- Lauren, opening the genius floodgates

No comments:

Post a Comment