Monday, March 31, 2014

Engagement photos = Perfectionist Lauren Runs AMOK!



For those of you who are new to the blog (HI!), I am getting married in August. The planning process has been a bit harried, mostly because I don’t know how to be a bride. I didn’t ever plan on getting married, so I didn’t have a vision, felt angsty about the whole process, etc. Now, thing are coming together, and I have been feeling good about the whole process. Or at least I did, until it came to the engagement photo shoot. I agreed to it, because my fiancĂ© really wanted it. And I can admit that it would be nice to have real, professional photos of us. Problem: I hate to be the center of attention. It brings out all of my perfectionist tendencies, which are not pretty. In order to avoid a lot of anxiety, I requested that we keep everything low-key; I didn’t want to have professional hair and make-up done. I didn’t want to buy a special outfit just for the photos. I wanted a location that felt like us, and I wanted the pictures to feel natural. I thought that all of this would keep me from turning into an obsessive stress ball, and it did for a little while. Then about three weeks before the photo session, it hit me that these photos are a big freaking deal, even if we don’t have a hair and makeup team. This was also the time that my eye started twitching whenever I thought about it.

I decided that I would create a plan of attack. This anxiety would not get the best of me! I scheduled an emergency hair dye appointment, so my color would look fresh in the photos. Next I hit up Sephora for some serious makeup supplies, like dark circle corrector and lipstick. Then I decided to go through my entire closet and pose in different outfits to see if they would be flattering in various scenarios. Next, I went on Youtube to find hair and makeup tutorials, and I practiced them for a few evenings. I badgered my fiancĂ© into picking the most photogenic look. I painted my nails, which I only do once a year, because I am TERRIBLE about removing the nail polish when it has clearly passed its prime. I also strategically planned when I would wash and style my hair, so it would not be too clean, which leads to frizz. Oh, and I made sure that my eyebrows were waxed, which required another scheduling hoopla due to my skin care regimen that must be interrupted for the waxing process. And the piece de resistance, I busted out a few extra gym sessions! 

What the FUCK? In the middle of this melee, I did realize that I had fallen down the perfectionist rabbit hole that I was trying so hard to avoid. And yet, I just kept going. It is really hard to hear the low key, down to earth mantra, when you feel the (admittedly mostly self-induced) pressure to look great in photographs that will LAST FOREVER. 

I am a bit scared for what my happen on my wedding day. Obviously, I want to look GOOD, and I would like for my eye to not twitch in the process. Any words of wisdom from the community?

- Lauren, who let out her inner perfectionist and who is trying to stuff her back in the box!

No comments:

Post a Comment