Thursday, February 7, 2013

Happy 29th Birthday to Me! Yeah, I said it. 29!



This week, I was inspired by a recent article by Mandy Standtmiller on XO Jane about embracing our age instead of hiding it. She talked a lot about how, socially, a woman’s worth is tied to how young she is perceived to be. If she wants to be relevant, then she needs to come across as vibrant and hip and cool and youthful. This has led to a lot of kick ass women lying about their age and downplaying their experience. In her article, Mandy points out how unacceptable and ridiculous that is, and I agree with her. Fuck that noise! 

I turn 29 years old on Friday, and I am PROUD OF IT. You know what? I am awesome no matter what age I am. We all are. With each year, I learn several new things about myself. Surprises and twists and turns have come along with my age. I always pick myself up, dust myself off, and carry on. I am worth it.

So I am ready, and you should join me. Let’s do this. Let’s celebrate our real age, and let’s do it fantastically in our own ways. Because no one has the right to tell us that we are worthless, obsolete, old spinsters with nothing left to give. Suck it society. I am twenty-freaking-nine and proud of it. WHAT?!

Here is the perfect song for the ridiculousness:

 
-          Lauren, reveler in her age and encourager of others to do the same

2 comments:

  1. That is true, unless you ask my even younger friends. Then I am OLD, and I should be freaking out about my age. NOPE!

    ReplyDelete