Thursday, January 31, 2013

When Sex and Religion Mix in a Positive Way!


I have never thought of myself as a prude. My limits of what I see as positive sexual behavior are pretty wide, and I am not shocked by much. (You want to pee on a willing participant? Be my guest.) And then I was sent Jewrotica, a website that mixes the Jewish religious/cultural norms with sexual health. I read a few blog posts, and I thought, “Okay, I can get down with this. They are encouraging people to explore their sexuality and to be a responsible partner while using a Jewish framework.” 

It was the erotica section which gave me pause. I read a very short poem centered on using a sacred religious object during a sexual encounter. Reading it made me feel totally uncomfortable and really wrong. You don’t use those for that! Bam! Sexual boundary. Obviously, the limit is mine; it has nothing to do with the writer or the website, which I still appreciate. I have just always compartmentalized religion and sex. I have never brought religious fantasies into the bedroom. My Rabbi has always been a person who reads the Torah, never a sexual conquest. I don’t know what that is like.

I have come across a few people in my life who find sexual freedom in their religion, like the religious foundation for sex makes it more interesting. One person in particular told me, “We are Lutherans. My religion says that we should procreate, so I make sure that my husband and I have a very healthy sex life. We try new things and use it as a way to strengthen our marriage and honor our shared religious beliefs.” They completely embrace their religious culture and bring it into the bedroom. 

So I want to explore this a bit. I recognize that a lot of people can mix religion and sex in a positive way. I want to hear those stories, because it is different from mine. Share what you feel comfortable in the comment section below. 

-          Lauren, Willing to learn more about her boundaries     

No comments:

Post a Comment