Thursday, September 26, 2013

300 Sandwiches does not = Magical Commitment of Love



I thought that I might not have anything to write on the blog this week. I have been feeling a bit allergy-riffic, which kind of takes the energy and the anger out of me. Both of those are usually required for me to write a post. To be fair, curiosity usually plays a role in there too. And then this article came across my desk, and I was ready for some typing action!

This week, Stephanie Smith penned an article in which she explains her 300 sandwich project. This is not her making 300 sandwiches for individuals who are homeless or for children who cannot afford school lunches or for people who have escaped domestic violence situations. This project follows her process as she makes 300 sandwiches for her boyfriend, in order to prove that she is wife material, so he will marry her. Apparently, this project came about through an off-handed remark that he made about her being 300 sandwiches away from an engagement ring. He is even quoted as saying, “Make me a sandwich,” to his ever-hopeful, potential future fiancĂ© in the morning.  

Normally, I try to stay relatively neutral on my blog posts. (Okay, neutral-ish, sort of.) I want this blog to be exploratory and a conversation starter. However, I am really struggling with this one, because I want to tell her to RUN AWAY FROM THIS DUDE. But, okay let's be more exploratory. On the one hand, we do need to support our significant others, and feeding them is one way to do that. Also, if you like cooking and express your love through food, I am totally on board with you. On the other hand, if someone is using a task to see if you measure up as a partner, then we have a problem. Love does not ever translate to the equation of making sandwiches (or losing weight, cleaning house, speaking less, agreeing more, having children, bowing down, etc.) = getting the magical engagement ring of commitment. If this comes up in your relationship, it might be time to be honest with yourself and to ask if this person celebrates who you are. Do they truly love YOU or who they can mold you into? A question we must always ask ourselves in all of our relationships. 

A part of me is hoping this is joke. I want this to be true for her sake. I want her to be in a healthy, supportive relationship. I want that for everyone! I just don’t think that making 300 sandwiches is the way to get one. 

-          Lauren, incredibly perplexed by this whole situation   

No comments:

Post a Comment