Thursday, March 7, 2013

I don’t want kids. Now, what do we talk about?



After lots of thought and careful consideration, I have decided that I don’t ever want to have children. The problem is that NO ONE BELIEVES ME. They say that I am too young to make that decision. (I am 29 by the way.) They tell me that my ovaries will start kicking my uterus at 33, and there will be no looking back. Some people say that I need to find the right man. He will make my fallopian tubes sing, and I will just need to have a baby. Others say that my life will be unfulfilled and empty without children, like I have nothing else to offer this world. (Why don’t you just ask me why I bother even being a female if I am not going to have babies? Because that is what you really mean.) Some people say that I could just adopt, and they are totally right. I could adopt and skip the whole childbearing process that way. Yippee! But not being able to fit into my pants and feeling my labia rip open are not the only reasons why I do not want to have kids. 

The thing is that I just don’t want to be a parent. I am happy for others who choose to procreate, adopt, surrogate birth, or whatever child-getting process is happening right now. You go forth and raise those kids! Seriously, I don’t know how you do it. Deep down, I don’t want to be responsible for another human being until the day I die. It’s too much for me, and I am woman enough to admit it. And this is after I have gotten older, found a great boyfriend, and settled into a house. I just don’t have that need. And if the urge ever does arise, I will politely remind my uterus that it does not control me; I own it. That’s how this whole thing works. Host = Decision maker. 

So please the next time any female says that she does not want kids, respect that decision instead of berating her with wicked comments. It is hard enough to be a female in this society without us cutting each other down about baby stuff. DAMN!

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? How did you handle it? 

-          Lauren, Parent supporter but not parent(er)     

4 comments:

  1. I do not regret my decision to not have kids. i look at parents and I feel like this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! How did you handle people questioning you along the way?

      Delete
  2. No offense, Lauren, but I feel this is something that both females and males run into. Sure society excepts if a male doesn't want a kid easier than females. But there are the comment "you'll meet the right person and change your mind". I do believe saying totally no, with this and most situations, is a little closed minded. I don't think one should be expected to have kids to justify your point in life. Neither do I think one should totally rule it out. I was a total no, now I have a kid. I understand its not for everyone but it works for me somehow. When people ask you, just be like I'm not ready and you might never be. If they don't respect that, tell them to fuck off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take offense to that. I think the difference is that no one is trying to regulate your right to procreate while at the same time telling you that your life has no meaning without children. I am just not interested in parenting, and people don't seem to be able to accept that. It's really frustrating.

      Delete