Friday, July 18, 2014

A Thank You post to ALL of my Friends



Friendships in my life are ever evolving. When I was little, I could be friends with someone for the simple fact that they wanted to play with me. As I got older and popularity battle lines were drawn, friendships got more complicated. College friendships were about who I wanted as my surrogate family and who I could spend ALL of my time with. Now that I am older, I realize that friendships are more of a give and take. It’s not just about companionship that friends can offer me but also what I bring to the table, especially emotionally.
  
About 90% of the time, I am a good friend. I listen, stay engaged, ask people to do something, remember their important life events, and I support them through hard times. 10% of the time, I am overwhelmingly self-focused, prematurely share my own unhelpful opinion, mess up my schedule, forget important days, and I show up to parties/gatherings without an offering. Fortunately, I have friends who can ignore or call me out on the 10% of crap in order to get the 90% of awesomeness. 

I don’t take that fact lightly or for granted.  This whole balance of support, acceptance, and challenge is important during stressful life events, like when one is planning a wedding. I am privileged to have friends who ask me about planning, listen as I groan about something trivial, and offer to help in any way they can. I am also especially lucky to have friends who don’t listen to me when I tell them that getting married is not a big deal and that we don’t need to celebrate it. My friends are wise enough to know that sometimes I don’t know what I am talking about, and I tend to minimize things that feel overwhelming. I was naïve and wrong. Getting married is a big freaking deal, and it should be celebrated. Like forty times. In a row.

I am happy to have each of you in my life to pull me along and give me a little nudge when I need it. You are all very special, and I thank you for putting up with my 10% (maybe 20%) of ridiculousness to get to the 90% (or 80%) of greatness. I just wanted to take a moment to celebrate each of you!

- Lauren, Auspiciously friended    

No comments:

Post a Comment