Thursday, June 12, 2014

'Tis the Season for Caprese Salads and Labia Sweat



It’s officially summer. At least it finally feels like it is summer in Texas. This is the season where I fight to eat something other than Caprese salads and hot dogs and to drink something other than ginger beer and mojitos. Summer is also the time when we all get to face the truth that is labia sweat. Yes, I said it: labia sweat. Natalie Angier in Woman: An Intimate Geography puts it best when she states, “Whatever the size of the labia, inner and outer, they sweat. The entire vulval area sweats, with the same insistence as the armpits.” She goes on to state that we should be thankful for our labia sweat, because it regulates our body temperatures. Without it, we would get heat stroke and other heat related health problems more often, because our armpits alone cannot regulate our body temperatures.

Here’s the thing. I am really glad that labia sweat is keeping me from heat exhaustion, stroke, and possible death. However, it also makes me look like I peed in my pants. For a grown woman with fairly strong bladder control, this can be kind of embarrassing, especially when said person buys light gray exercise pants without really thinking it through. Honestly, I should not have to think anything through! Everyone should just know about labia sweat and then get over it. But we aren’t talking about it! I know that I have only had one or two whispered conversations about it, which frankly is less often than I have spoken about mucus plugs during pregnancy and the kinds of objects that people have gotten stuck in their rectums. This leads me to think that labia sweat might actually freak people out more than either of those things, and that needs to change. 

So let’s all talk about it. Share this information with your friends. Write a Facebook post about it. Text your friends a lovely, labia sweat-related message. Hold a press conference about it. It is time to let everyone in on the labia sweat secret and to wear whatever the fuck we want! Sweat stains be damned!

- Lauren, labia sweat-er not pants pee-er        

No comments:

Post a Comment