Thursday, January 16, 2014

I am really ready for a HUMAN movement.



I was going to use this post as a call for a humanist movement, but then I learned that humanism is more of a philosophical view of individual human agency versus deity power. That is not what I am going for here! Instead, I will call for a human movement, which is an all inclusive movement to push forth a better life for everyone. Honestly, I am tired of watching movements stall over labels and names. The question becomes who gets to be the face of the movement rather than what will the movement accomplish. Visibility and collectiveness are really important, so we have to think bigger. Let’s have one giant human (or humyn) movement instead of little ones, where everyone has space to participate and move the work forward!

In order to get the human movement started, I have thought of a few things that could be included in the manifesto. The human movement will fight for all humans to:

  • Live the life that they wish to live
  • Love whomever(s) they choose with full legal/financial rights
  • Achieve whichever career (inside or outside of the home) that they would like; and this career should pay them at least a true living wage
  • Participate in safe, embracing communities that offer them enrichment opportunities
  • Feel comfort in expressing their best selves, even if that self does not fit prescribed social norms
  • Have equity in the education system, including an affordable higher education system
  • Dwell in healthy environments that promote wellness
  • Have access to a truly fair criminal justice system
  • Connect with social services as they wish and as they need with no penalties for using them

That is just the start of the human movement manifesto. Is it super far-fetched right now? Hell yes! I am not a Pollyanna who thinks this work will happen overnight. That is not what I am arguing. I am saying that I would like to see a larger, less fractured human movement with more inclusiveness and power. It is time for things to change in a big way.

What would you add to the manifesto?
  
- Lauren, human movement supporter

No comments:

Post a Comment