Friday, May 17, 2013

The things that we will do for friends!



I bought lingerie by myself for the first time yesterday. The piece was for a friend for her lingerie wedding shower. So we all know that I am a bit delayed in the underwear department. Maybe delayed isn’t the right word. I have refused to involve myself in the details of all things underwear. I did not wear bras for YEARS in college, and last year, at the age of 28, I discovered the beauty of a real bra fitting. I think that it is safe to say that I am not an underwear professional. I have only bought lingerie twice; both were for bachelorette parties and were purchased with at least one friend for back up.

This is all just to set the stage for what happened while I was buying lingerie yesterday. What an overwhelming experience! First, you have to find the lingerie department, which is ironically placed between the men’s suiting department and the small children’s department. Then, you have to think like the engaged person. THEN, you have to remember that you are buying lingerie that is supposed to be celebratory and will be shown at a party FOR EVERYONE TO SEE. Shit just got critical. Do you buy the standard yet pretty bra and panty set? Do you buy the slightly sexy/mostly comfortable night gown? Do you buy the mostly sexy/kind of cheesy night gown? Do you buy the see through tank and panty set? Do you buy the bustier with the garter belts? Do you buy the other night gown that also looks like a semi-formal homecoming dress? OR do you wave the white flag, pack it all in, buy the footie pajamas, and claim that it is a gag gift?
   
I will not tell you which one I bought, since that would ruin the surprise. I will just let you all in on a revelation that I had: some of us are just not lingerie people, and that is okay. Some people love lingerie. It makes them feel sexy; it helps set the mood. High five to you guys! Maybe I will be one of you someday! (It happened with bras. It could happen with satiny/gauzy stuff.) In the meantime, I am going to celebrate myself in cotton shorts and a sports bra, because that’s how I do.

-          Lauren, Lingerie wrangler for friends  

No comments:

Post a Comment